MAA takes environmentally friendly practices serious, and we believe our residents do too. Sustainable Living measures create a socially responsible living environment and a better quality of life for our residents and associates.
Partnerships have been established to recycle discarded carpets that would otherwise go into landfills, and exterior community lighting has been changed to more efficient, longer lasting types of lighting. Many of our communities carry appliance packages with the Energy Star rating, conserving energy and helping our residents save money.
We provide more sustainable choices to our residents, which we believe a growing population of residents value as a way of life. Online portals allow our residents to complete routine transactions with us electronically, offering more convenience while reducing the need for paper transactions. Many of our communities also offer on-site recycling programs.
With the use of irrigation water and significant impact of over watering and runoff, water conservation is highly prioritized at MAA. MAA communities contain reduced lawn areas with drought tolerant plantings to minimize the need of irrigation and fertilization. Smart irrigation practices such as implementing weather based control systems, low flow irrigation devices, and the use of reclaimed and well water are in place across many of our communities. Annual internal efficiency audits are conducted on our highest irrigation use properties, and since 2012, nearly 100 million gallons have been saved by measures implemented by these audits.
Greener Living program initiatives include*:
- High performance, low-flow water devices in all MAA apartment homes
- Energy Star rated appliances in MAA apartment homes
- Saline swimming pool treatments
- Access to online leasing and communication tools for residents, thereby reducing paper waste
- On-site recycling options for residents
- Establishment of partnerships with vendors that recycle carpet and other flooring materials
- Usage of reduced watt, high performance lighting fixtures in community breezeways and common areas (LED, fluorescent, and induction lighting)
- Water conservation practices through irrigation efficiencies, rainwater harvesting, reclaimed water and well water usage
- Community landscaping to minimize turf and implement drought tolerate plant material
- Rain water harvesting
*Sustainable Living services may not be available at all MAA communities. Please inquire with a leasing representative regarding community specific programs.